Thursday, January 21, 2010

About.com Bestsellers

The Time Monk Presents

Ever since the December release of the movie version of The Lovely Bones, Alice Sebold's 2002 novel by the same name has been topping Bestsellers lists once again. I missed the book when it was first released, and I had one thought when I saw the movie trailer, "There is absolutely no way I am reading or seeing that." The topic -- a young girl who is raped and murdered and then watches over her family from the in-between because her soul can't move on to heaven -- is just too heavy for me these days.
It's not that I want to avoid all sad topics. In fact, I am very willing to hear true tragic stories. Ever since having kids, though, the weight of pain and danger in the world seems especially heavy. I have no desire to read fiction about kidnappings.
What are the topics you avoid in your reading even if you know the books are supposed to be really good?

Cover Photo Courtesy Little, Brown
Topics You Avoid? originally appeared on About.com Bestsellers on Wednesday, January 20th, 2010 at 00:07:12.Permalink | Comment | Email this
Topics You Avoid?

About.com Bestsellers

No comments:

Post a Comment